Enter your phone number and we text you the download link:
- This walking tour is in full sun so use sun protection (hat and shades are highly recommended).
- Best time to start the tour: 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. You can walk it anytime, but you’ll go inside a store that is open from 11-7 and walk on the pier which is open 7am – 9pm.
- This tour is wheelchair friendly.
- Please be safe and obey all traffic laws. Be especially careful when crossing the bike path (aka the strand). Crossing the strand on a summer weekend can be more dangerous than crossing the 405 freeway at rush hour.
Stephanie Jenz: Executive Producer & Writer
Don Corrieri: Sound Engineer
Joe Nolte: Narrator & Creative Consultant
Jim Lindberg: Creative Consultant.
Peter Gilstrap & Annie Celsi: Interviewers & Creative Consultants
Photos: Hermosa Beach Historical Society, Spot, Scott Kerwin & family, Anthony Hernandez
Video: Craig Kohlhoff (www.Mediumcoolvideoproductions.com), Mark Nicholas Photography (drone video), Ellen Daybow (Editor)
Special thanks to all the people who generously contributed their time and stories. All interviews will be donated to The Hermosa Beach Historical Society:
- PUNK: Jim Lindberg (Pennywise), Keith Morris (Black Flag, Circle Jerks), Joe Nolte (The Last), Spot (Media Art Recording Studios)
- SURF MUSIC: Paul Johnson (The Belairs), Randy Nauert (The Challengers)
- SWING, JAZZ & FOLK: Tommy Rice, Richard Fillet, Don Randi, Will Brady (Honk)
- LOCAL LORE (60’s & 70’s): Carole James
Other interviewees: Alex Areyan, Annie Seawright, Betsy Ryan, Bill Schneider, Cindy Whitehead, Donald Hales, Hap Jacobs, Jim & Scott Kerwin, John Grannis, KP Funism, Mike Purpus, Pat Ryan, Putter & VR Smith
Other contributors: Amanda Watanabe, Bing Copeland, Bradley Peacock, Chris Miller, Daniel Inez, Darrell Greenwald, Dennis Jarvis, Dez Cadena, Don & Barbara Guild, Earl Liberty, Gloria Cadena, Joey Farrales, John Blair, John Josef, John Warren, Julia Bogany, Ken Koenig, Kevin Sousa, Mike Love, Nancy Simonian, Pat Grazin, Rick Koenig, Sabina Sandoval, Steve Collins,
Hermosa businesses: Abigail, Starbucks, Lighthouse Cafe, Mike’s Guitar, Sea Sprite Motel, Yak & Yeti,
JAZZ! SURF! PUNK!
Discover how this tiny beach town became a mecca for trailblazing music for more than 75 years. Walk with Joe Nolte, “The Godfather of South-Bay Punk” on a musical journey through time. Click here to Read More
This tour starts here:
Click image to enlarge
Location: Hermosa Beach Pier
Stand in the middle of the City Seal, the star shaped mosaic, to start the tour